A relief project for the unemployed enabled the construction of this bridge between 1923 and 1924. Often referred to as the Rainbow Bridge because of its beautiful arch, this footbridge increased the accessibility to the meadows to the east of the river. Earlier they could only be reached by a foot ferry operating in the summer months.
The footpaths from the bridge lead to Wolfson College and to Marston Ferry Road.
This narrow path (about 800 yards long by 30 yards wide) lies between the upper and lower levels of the River Cherwell flowing through the Parks The name derives from the Greek meaning ‘between the rivers’ and has been used in the English language since 1854.
The path, about a mile long, contains habitats for waterfowl and wetland flora and leads across footbridges to Kings Mill and Marston Road. A mill was recorded at this site in the Doomsday Book and milling is known to have continued here until at least 1825.
Cycle track and bridges
Outside the perimeter of the Parks is the cycle track leading to Marston which was opened in 1994. The middle bridge of the three in the Parks was designed by Alfred Goldstein in 1949 and is thought to be the first pre-stressed (a method for overcoming concrete’s natural weakness in tension) fixed arch bridge in the world.