Planting

Genetic Garden

In 1964 this area, previously the site of hard tennis courts, was allocated for the use of a genetic garden by Professor Cyril Darlington, (Sherardian Professor of Botany, 1953-1971). This experimental area was used for demonstrating evolutionary processes. Planting includes hybrids with their parent species, graft chimera and plants with different types of foliage variegation.

Hayrick Border

This herbaceous border is particularly colourful in the summer and its name indicates its former use. Before the introduction of mechanical mowing equipment, sheep and cattle were grazed in the Parks, a practice which continued until at least 1937. This area was formerly used to store hay for the livestock.

Added to herbaceous plants, seasonal colour is augmented by a broad range of tender perennials including many species of Salvia.

List of site pages